Carrot cake recipe‘s defy the saying that healthy and tasty cannot go hand in hand. This healthy carrot cake recipe is packed with the nutritious benefits of carrots and different spices, which not only gives a wonderful taste but is also easy to make at home.
- Whole wheat flour – ¾ cup
- Cake flour – ¾ cup
- Brown sugar – ½ cup (you can use regular sugar too, but brown sugar is more healthy)
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tablespoon
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Molasses – 1 ½ tablespoons
- Vegetable oil – ¼ cup (this keeps the cake moist)
- Eggs – 2 (regular sized)
- Juice of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 orange
- Grated lemon zest – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Raisins – ½ cup
- Dried and chopped figs – 5
- Poppy seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Grated carrots – 2 cups
- Chopped pecans – ¼ cup
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
Note: You can increase or decrease the amount of spices depending on your taste. However, make sure that you do not completely mask the taste of the carrots.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 175°C.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in a deep bowl.
- Add the molasses to the mix and beat well using a blender.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda and baking powder and keep aside.
- Add the orange juice, orange zest, grated lemon zest and grated carrot to the egg mix and fold well.
- Now add the flour mixture, one spoonful at a time, and mix well between each addition.
- Now add the raisins, figs, poppy seeds, pecans and cinnamon powder to the mix and fold well. Let it rest for a minute or two so that all the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Grease a 9-inch baking pan and dust the insides with refined flour.
- Pour the batter in the baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 1-1½ hours.
- If the top of the cake is firm, then the cake is done.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before taking it out of the pan and cooling completely.
- Because of the vegetable oil, the cake can be stored in the refrigerator and will remain moist.
- When serving, warm the cake piece in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Warm the cake and serve it with chocolate sauce on the side.
- Cream cheese icing is the traditional way to serve healthy carrot cakes.
- Cut the cake into fingers and decorate with jam and gems to serve to children.