There are two things that every child’s 1st birthday cake recipes must have: it should be soft so that it is easy to chew and swallow and must look very tempting. You can make the chocolate cake recipe in different shapes and flavors, but I like to keep it simple and add lots of sweet jam. Trust me, the child’s gooey face will speak volumes for your effort.
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
– 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
– 1 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup whole milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1/2 cup thick jam (raspberry or blueberry, but I prefer to use mixed fruit)
– Butter and flour for preparing the cake pan
– Preheat the oven to 350F.
– Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan and dust the insides with flour. Shake the excess flour out.
– In a dry bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
– In a separate bowl, take the eggs and sugar and whisk using an electric blender for about 5-6 minutes until you get a fluffy mix and the sugar dissolves.
– In a saucepan, take the butter and milk and melt the butter then add the cocoa powder. Stir well and let the mix cool.
– Add the flour mixture to the egg and sugar mix and whisk well to get an even mix.
– Now slowly pour the cocoa-butter mix in the flour-egg mix in a steady stream and beat well until combined.
– Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan.
– Bake at 350F for about 35-40 minutes until the cake is firm on top and springy to touch.
– Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
– Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack before assembling.
– Slice the cooled cake in half horizontally.
– Place the bottom half on a serving platter and spread a thick layer of jam over it with the help of a spatula.
– Place the top half layer on top and press lightly.
– 150 grams semi-sweet chocolate
– 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
– 2/3 cup heavy cream
– Chop the chocolate in very small pieces.
– Place the chocolate and the light corn syrup in a heat-proof bowl.
– Bring the cream to the boil on low heat.
– Pour the cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes.
– Whisk well.
– Spread the chocolate glaze on the top of the cake and let it drop down the sides.
– Refrigerate for a minimum of 45 minutes before serving.