There are two things that every child’s 1st birthday cake recipes must have: it should be soft so that it is easy to chew and swallow and must look very tempting. You can make the chocolate cake recipe in different shapes and flavors, but I like to keep it simple and add lots of sweet jam. Trust me, the child’s gooey face will speak volumes for your effort.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup thick jam (raspberry or blueberry, but I prefer to use mixed fruit)
- Butter and flour for preparing the cake pan
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan and dust the insides with flour. Shake the excess flour out.
- In a dry bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, take the eggs and sugar and whisk using an electric blender for about 5-6 minutes until you get a fluffy mix and the sugar dissolves.
- In a saucepan, take the butter and milk and melt the butter then add the cocoa powder. Stir well and let the mix cool.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg and sugar mix and whisk well to get an even mix.
- Now slowly pour the cocoa-butter mix in the flour-egg mix in a steady stream and beat well until combined.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Bake at 350F for about 35-40 minutes until the cake is firm on top and springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack before assembling.
- Slice the cooled cake in half horizontally.
- Place the bottom half on a serving platter and spread a thick layer of jam over it with the help of a spatula.
- Place the top half layer on top and press lightly.
- 150 grams semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Chop the chocolate in very small pieces.
- Place the chocolate and the light corn syrup in a heat-proof bowl.
- Bring the cream to the boil on low heat.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk well.
- Spread the chocolate glaze on the top of the cake and let it drop down the sides.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 45 minutes before serving.