Who loves cake? Or should I ask who doesn’t? Kids and adults alike enjoy a good chocolate cake recipe. It evokes fairy dust and birthday parties, tinsel and daydreams from the good old days. In spite of all the newer and more adventurous varieties abundant in cuisine nowadays, nothing beats an old-fashioned, homemade chocolate cake recipes. The exotic combination of dark tasting sweetness never ceases to be a novelty. Even if you were right next to a bake shop, I’m pretty certain you would never get tired of it. From the first time I savored the luscious goodness until I learned how to bake it myself, it has always evoked good memories of childhood and fun. Have some now.
– 3 cups cake flour
– 1/2 cup cocoa
– 1 1/2 cups sugar
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 2 tsp. baking soda
– 1/2 cup corn oil
– 1/2 cup butter
– 3 large eggs
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1/2 cup all purpose cream
– 2 tsp. vanilla extract
– 1 tsp. chocolate flavor extract
– 1 tbsp. corn syrup
– Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat two 8-inch cake pans with softened butter. Lightly sprinkle with flour to prevent crust from burning.
– In one large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
– In another mixing bowl, mix together all the remaining ingredients.
– Gradually add the dry ingredients to the liquid mix until the batter is thoroughly mixed.
– Pour into the pans.
– Bake the cake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cakes.
– Cool on wire racks for 20 minutes. Remove cakes from pans when completely cool.
– Make the filling by whisking 1 pack of store bought frosting, half a cup of sour cream and vanilla together in a large bowl.
– Assemble the cake by placing one cake layer on a cake tray then spreading about 2/5 of the thick filling and placing the second cake layer as in a sandwich.
– Spread the remaining filling (which will now serve as your icing) over the top of the cake.
– Smooth out the edges with a rubber spatula.
– Spread the remaining filling around the sides, delicately wiping any excesses with a napkin.
– Top with chopped cashew nuts, shaved chocolate, marshmallow bits or candied fruits.
– Cover the cake tray and refrigerate the cake for about half an hour or until well chilled.
– Serve with your favorite drink.