Carrot cake recipe is healthy and nutritious and I often bake it for tea parties and office gatherings. However if, like me, you also feel that cutting up the cake and serving it in plates is a somewhat difficult job then baking muffins is a simple solution. Next time try out this healthy carrot cake recipe in muffin molds.
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon all spice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup grated fresh carrots
- 1 cup peeled and grated apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy and light in color and the sugar dissolves.
- Add the oil and beat well to get a smooth emulsion.
- In a dry bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, all spice and ground flour.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Stir in the grated carrots and apple.
- Add in the walnuts.
- This recipe will make 24 standard size muffins.
- Grease the muffin molds.
- Pour the batter in the muffin molds. Fill only 3/4 way up to leave some space for the muffins to rise.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until firm on top.
- Remove and cool before frosting or serving.
- You can serve these muffins with butter, jam or peanut butter.
- You can replace the flour with a mix of whole wheat flour, oat flour and barn.
- You can also add some oats to the mix or sprinkle some oats on the top.
Icing for the carrot cake
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 lemons
- Grate the lemons to get a tablespoon of lemon peel.
- Juice the two lemons.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon peel and the juice of two lemons with the powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the icing over the muffins and let it set for some time before serving.
Syrup glaze for the muffins
- Juice of 1 small orange
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice and sugar until light and fluffy.
- When the muffins come out of the oven, stab them with a skewer all over.
- Pour the sugar glaze all over the muffins quickly.
- Let the muffins cool before serving to allow the cake to absorb the glaze.