Over 285 million people are diabetic. Diabetes is a disease where the body does not produce enough insulin thereby increasing blood sugar. This is a chronic disease and can be fatal if not treated or detected early as it inhibits the clotting of wounds, increases blood pressure and makes the patient prone to dizziness and nausea and other complications. The good news is diabetes can be treated with proper maintenance of low or no sugar diets thereby avoiding fatalities. Carrot cake recipe can have some twist and make a healthy dessert. This sugar free carrot cake recipe is intended for such a situation.
– 2 cups cake flour
– 2 tsp. cinnamon
– 2 tsp. baking soda
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1 tsp. baking powder
– Sift together all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, then set aside.
– 2 cups grated carrots
– 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
– 1/2 cup crushed nuts
– 1/2 cup sesame seeds
– 1 cup coconut milk
– Combine all the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl and mix thoroughly until well incorporated, then set aside.
– 3 eggs
– 1/2 cup canola oil
– 1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
– 1/2 cup cold water
– Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a spring form baking pan with non-stick oil.
– In a large ceramic mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a fork until frothy.
– Add the oil, orange juice and water.
– Switch to a hand mixer and beat on low speed.
– Add the carrot mixture next while still beating at low speed.
– Next, add the sifted dry ingredients, one tablespoon at a time; switch the mixer to medium speed.
– With the aid of a rubber spatula, transfer the batter to the prepared spring form pan.
– Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
– Remove the pan from the oven and cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
– Remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
Sugar Ladle Sauce:
– 1/2 cup buttermilk
– 1 cup Nutrasweet or any artificial sweetener
– 1/2 tsp. baking soda
– 1 tsp. maple syrup
– 1/2 stick of butter
– Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
– Over low heat, cook to almost boiling for 5 minutes while constantly stirring. This does not need to be thickened to a syrupy state.
– Punch holes on top of the cake and pour the sauce mixture over the cake.
– Serve with coffee, tea or milk.