Cakes are one of the easiest desserts to make. You can eat them as they are or turn them into beautiful desserts. However, cakes do not always have to be too sweet or too fattening for your health. You can use other ingredients, such as carrots, to make the carrot cake recipe and enjoy the same taste with enriched goodness. Here is a healthy carrot cake recipe for you to try out the next time you feel a craving for cakes.
– 3 eggs
– 175 grams unrefined sugar
– 175 grams olive oil (this makes the cake dairy free, but if you want you can use butter)
– 100 grams chopped dried figs
– Zest of one orange (grated)
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 175 grams wholemeal flour
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 2 big carrots grated
– Preheat the oven to 180C.
– In a deep bowl, break in the eggs and add the sugar and olive oil to it.
– Beat well until all the sugar is dissolved.
– In a separate bowl, sift the baking powder, baking soda, flour, cinnamon and orange zest.
– Add the flour mix to the egg mix and whisk well.
– Add the dried figs and mix well.
– Add the grated carrots to the prepared mix and fold lightly.
– Grease and flour a standard 9-inch cake pan.
– Pour the batter in the pan.
– Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. The cake should be firm on the top and springy. You can check the cake by inserting a toothpick in the center; if it comes out clean the cake is done.
– Cool and cut in slices to serve.
While you can eat the carrot cake fresh out of the oven, you can also jazz it up a little using the following frosting options.
Traditional Cream Cheese Frosting with Nuts
– 1/2 cup butter
– 1 cup cream cheese
– 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
– 1 cup chopped walnuts and pecans
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Beat the cream cheese and butter together till fluffy.
– Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and mix well.
– Stir in the vanilla and chopped nuts.
– Spread the frosting on the cake and let it sit for some time before cutting in slices and serving.
Toasted Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
– The ingredients and method are the same, but replace the chopped walnuts with 2/3 cup of toasted coconut shavings.
– Spread on the cake in a thick layer and chill before serving.
– You can also add toasted macadamia nuts and some crystalized ginger on the top of the frosting before serving.