Here is my version of a very healthy carrot cake recipe that I saw on the internet recently. I tried to make it but found it was full of very disturbing ingredients, such as lard and chestnuts, if you can believe it! I took it upon myself to modify and test this recipe. I took out some ingredients which I felt were redundant and thoroughly removed from the essence of a good old homemade carrot cake recipe and substituted these with ingredients that are readily found in normal household pantries and cupboards (read – my own). I also adjusted the amounts per item as I strongly felt that the individual quantity prescribed was outrageously excessive. Plus, I exercised a modicum of change in the preparation of this healthy treat to better enhance the taste and lingering goodness of such a cake. The result was an ambrosial, sweet orange concoction which I would like to share with you.
– 3/4 cup canola oil
– 1 1/2 cups sugar
– 3 eggs
– 1 cup carrots, grated
– 1/3 cup cashew nuts
– 1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
– 1/2 cup coconut flakes, sweetened
– 1/3 cup raisins
– 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
– 2 cups cake flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 tablespoon cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon salt
– Pre-heat your oven to 350°F.
– Spray with non-stick oil one 9-inch cake pan.
– Mix together in a large bowl the oil, sugar, eggs, carrots, nuts, coconut, raisins and ginger powder.
– In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
– Add the carrot mixture and blend.
– Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
– Remove from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes.
– Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely.
– Top the carrot cake with a layer of cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
– 6 ounces soft cream cheese
– 2 tablespoons or half a stick of butter
– 2 tablespoons canola oil
– 1 cup powdered sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup chopped cashew nuts
Directions for the frosting:
– Beat together the cream cheese, butter and canola oil until the mixture is smooth and light.
– Add the powdered sugar and the vanilla and mix until smooth and all the sugar is dissolved and everything is incorporated.
– Spread evenly and sprinkle the cashew nuts on top.