Many people find it hard to believe that you can make delicious cakes without eggs. In fact, vegan recipes are quite easy to follow and the carrot cake recipe turn out to be as delicious and moist as any other cake. Here is a simple vegan carrot cake recipe that you can try out at home.
– Refined flour – 2 1/2 cups
– Salt – 1 teaspoon
– Baking soda – 2 teaspoons
– Baking powder – 4 teaspoons
– Ground cinnamon – 1 tablespoon
– Ground nutmeg – 1 teaspoon
– Ground ginger – 1 teaspoon
– Egg replacer – 3 tablespoons
– Light brown sugar – 2 cups
– Safflower oil – 1 cup
– Almond milk – 1 cup
– Unsweetened applesauce – 1 cup
– Grated red carrots – 3 cups
– Chopped walnuts – 1 cup
– Raisins – 1 cup
Vegan cream cheese frosting ingredients:
– Chilled margarine – 12 tablespoons
– Soy cream cheese – 500 grams
– Powdered sugar – 1 1/2 cups
– Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
– Preheat the oven to 350F.
– Grease and flour three 9 inch cake pans.
– In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger and egg replacer.
– In a separate bowl, add the sugar, safflower oil and almond milk and whisk well until combined.
– Add the applesauce and whisk some more to combine all the liquids.
– Add the almond milk mixture to the flour mixture and whisk well to form a smooth batter.
– Gently stir in the grated carrots, raisins and walnuts. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all the ingredients are combined well.
– Pour the batter in the three pans equally.
– Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes. The center of the cake should spring back when pressed.
– Remove the pans from the oven and invert on wire racks to cool completely.
– While the cakes cool, beat the margarine in a separate bowl till light and fluffy.
– Cut the cream cheese in pieces and add to the margarine and beat well to combine fully.
– Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla and blend well.
Once the cakes are at room temperature it is time to start assembling them:
– Place one cake on a serving stand.
– Spoon some of the frosting on top of the cake and spread evenly.
– Place another cake on top of the first cake and press lightly.
– Spread another layer of frosting on the top.
– Place the third cake on top of the stack and cover with frosting from all sides.
– Set aside for at least 30 minutes before serving. Cut in slices to serve.