There is absolutely nothing more comforting than a piece of chocolate cake at the end of the day. I always feel good when I know that a chocolate cake recipe is sitting in my fridge. Here is one delicious plain chocolate cake recipe that I love to bake and would make it every day if I could. This recipe uses Coca-Cola to give it a dark color that is difficult to resist.
– 114 grams unsalted and softened butter
– 1 cup Coca-Cola (you can use diet coke if you are looking for a low calorie version)
– 3/4 cup marshmallows
– 30 grams semi-sweet cooking chocolate
– 1/2 cup shortening
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoons vanilla
– 3/4 cup buttermilk
– 2 cups sugar
– 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– Preheat the oven to 350F.
– Grease and flour a 13×9 inch cake pan.
– In a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate.
– Add the Coca-Cola and bring to the boil.
– Remove from the heat and stir in the marshmallows.
– Stir to get a smooth mix (the marshmallows melt).
– Let it cool to room temperature.
– Use an electric blender to blend the eggs and sugar to get a fluffy mix.
– Add the shortening, oil and vanilla and beat some more (for 2 minutes).
– Add the buttermilk to the above mix and blend well.
– In a dry bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
– Add half of this mixture to the egg-shortening mix and blend well.
– Now add the Coca-Cola mix and stir well to get an even mix.
– Make sure that you scrape the sides of the bowl to blend all the ingredients.
– Now add the rest of the flour mix.
– Do not worry if the batter is thick; it will turn out to be perfect.
– Pour the prepared batter in the cake pan.
– Bake in the preheated oven at 350F for 35-40 minutes. When a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean, the cake is ready.
– Remove from the oven and cool.
– 1/2 cup soft butter
– 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
– 6 tablespoons Coca-Cola
– 250 grams confectioners’ sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
– Mix the butter, cocoa powder and Coca-Cola in a saucepan.
– Heat over medium heat and bring to the boil.
– Remove from the heat and pour over the sugar.
– Add the vanilla and pecans and stir well to get a thick spreading mix.
– Spread over the lukewarm cake and let it cool completely before cutting in slices.