The secret weapon to the success of every dinner party is beautiful chocolate desserts. There are many ways to use the ever popular chocolate cake recipe in dessert, but it is the plain chocolate cake that is the most popular of all. A plain chocolate cake with some frosting is all you need to finish off the scrumptious dinner that you prepared. Here is a plain chocolate cake recipe that you can prepare in no time.
- 4 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of castor sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of butter (at room temperature)
- 1 ¼ cups of milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups of hot coffee (you can use the decaf variety also)
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Grease an 11-inch cake tin or two 7-inch baking tins using a little flour and oil.
- In a deep mixing bowl, add the butter, sugar and eggs, and beat at a very high speed using a food processor or blender until the mix is smooth and creamy and almost double in size.
- Add the milk and coffee to the mix and beat some more. Don’t forget to scrape the bottom of the bowl in between so that all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add this mix to the egg-butter mix, adding one large spoon at a time and beating well in between each addition.
- Pour the mix in the prepared cake pan and smooth the tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour.
- At the end of the baking time you will have a nice dark brown chocolate cake. Let it cool in the tin before removing from the pan.
The chocolate cake is incomplete without some delicious cream decorations to go along with it. Here is the recipe for a delicious chocolate cream that perfectly complements the chocolate cake.
- 2 ¼ cups of fresh cream
- 500 grams of dark cooking chocolate (chopped and at room temperature)
- 250 grams of fresh raspberries (cut in halves lengthwise)
- Place the cake on a serving plate.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan until very hot.
- Remove from heat, add the chocolate, and stir well.
- Let it chill completely.
- Slather the prepared chocolate cream on the cake covering all the sides. Decorate with sliced raspberries and serve with some fresh cream on the side.