Every parent wants to have a special birthday chocolate cake recipe for his or her child on his or her 1st birthday. I recommend baking a cake at home so that you can be sure that it consists of all fresh ingredients. Here is one of the simplest 1st birthday cake recipes that you can easily make at home and does not contain much sugar.
– 16 large egg whites (about 480 ml)
– 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1/4 cup boiling water
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1 3/4 cups white sugar
– 1 cup cake flour (you can use gluten-free cake flour)
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
– 2 liter vanilla or flavored frozen yogurt
– 1 kg mix of sliced fruits, such as blueberries, peaches, strawberries
– Preheat the oven to 350F.
– This recipe is for angel food cake, therefore I always use an angel food cake tube pan. Have the cake pan ready.
– In a small pan, combine the cocoa powder and boiling water. Stir until smooth.
– Add the vanilla extract and let the mix cool.
– In a separate bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup of sugar, flour and salt.
– Take the egg whites in a large bowl and use a whisk attachment to beat the egg whites until foamy.
– Add the cream of tartar and beat until the egg whites form soft peaks.
– Add the remaining 1 cup of sugar and keep on whisking until you get stiff peaks.
– Take 1 cup of the beaten egg white mix and add it to the cocoa mix.
– Gently fold to lighten the mix.
– Now use a large wire whisk to gently fold the dry ingredients in the remaining egg white mix. Do not over mix.
– Add the cocoa mix to the above mix. Do not over beat otherwise the cake will deflate.
– Pour the cake batter in the angel food cake pan.
– Gently run a spatula through the cake batter to take any excess air out.
– Bake in the preheated oven at 350F for 40-45 minutes. The cake should spring back if touched.
– Invert the cake pan immediately. This will prevent the cake from shrinking and deflating.
– Let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan.
You can easily store this cake in the fridge for about a week without spoiling.
To assemble the cake:
– Slice the cake in half horizontally.
– Slice the bottom half of the cake in 12-14 thin slices.
– Tear the top half in small pieces.
– Line a 13×9 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
– Place the slices in the baking dish to cover the whole bottom.
– Spread the yogurt on the cake slices and smooth out as you go. Press lightly.
– Press the small pieces of the cake on the top.
– Cover and freeze.
– Before serving, add the sliced fruits on the top.
– Cut in squares to serve.