Kids love layers of chocolate cake with lots of chocolaty frosting. Here is a soft and gooey chocolate cake recipe that will make you a favorite mommy among all the kids present at the party. This is one of my simple 1st birthday cake recipes that is perfect for every occasion.
- Sugar – 1 ½ cups
- Flour – 2 cups
- Shortening – 1 cup
- Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Cocoa – 4 tablespoons
- Baking powder – 2 tablespoons
- Cooking chocolate – ½ cup
- Eggs – 2
- Mixed fruit essence or extract – ¼ teaspoon
- Beat the eggs and shortening for 2 minutes with the help of a blender at high speed.
- Add the sugar and beat until the sugar dissolves and you get a frothy white mixture.
- Beat in the buttermilk at medium speed.
- Add the mixed fruit essence and fold lightly.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder and cooking chocolate and keep aside.
- Add this mixture, one tablespoon at a time, to the egg mix in the blender at high speed.
- Beat for about 3-4 minutes. You will get a mix of dropping consistency.
- Grease two 9-inch baking pans and pour the mix equally in the two pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 35-40 minutes.
- The best way to check if your cake is done or not is to insert a toothpick in the center of it. If it comes out clean then your cake is done.
- Let it cool on a wire rack before taking it out of the pan.
To prepare the layers:
- Melted dark and white chocolate – 2 cups
- Icing sugar – 3 cups
- Butter – 3-4 sticks
- Vanilla essence – 4 drops
- Melt the butter with the chocolate on a double boiler.
- Let the mix cool and add 2 cups of icing sugar and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Spread the mix on one of the cakes and put the other cake on top of it. Press lightly.
- Use the rest of the mix to cover the cake from all sides and evenly on the top.
- Put the cake in the fridge for about an hour to let the chocolate set.
- Once the chocolate is set, dust the remaining icing sugar on the top and the sides of the cake to give it a ‘fairy tale’ look.
Tips to add to the chocolate cake recipe:
- Use a flat spatula dipped in warm water to spread the icing on the cake for even layers and smooth spreading.
- You can even put the icing in a piping bag and use it to decorate the sides of the cake.
- Use some regular grated chocolate on top of the icing for one more chocolate layer.