Red velvet cake recipe gets its name from the vibrant red color that it has. The red color is due to the reaction of cocoa powder with vinegar and buttermilk. This color is further enhanced by adding some red food coloring to the mix.
Here is an easy and simple red velvet cake recipe from scratch that takes only about one hour to prepare and cook.
On your shopping list:
- All-purpose flour – 310 grams
- Sugar – 300 grams
- Baking powder – 5 grams
- Cocoa powder – 15 grams
- Buttermilk – 250 ml
- Vegetable oil – 340 ml
- Large eggs – 2
- Red food coloring – 3 ml
- White distilled vinegar – 2 ml
- Vanilla essence – 5 drops
- Vegetable oil for greasing – 10 ml
- Three 9 inch baking pans of the shape you want
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and mix together. There should be no lumps in the mix.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until you get them to a thick dropping consistency.
- Add the red food coloring to the mix and set it aside.
- Take the egg yolks and whisk them well until they become slightly frothy.
- Add the vinegar, vanilla essence, buttermilk, vinegar and sugar to the whisked egg yolks.
- Blend well using a blender at medium speed.
- Now add the flour mix, one spoon at a time, and blend well. Ensure that there are no lumps in the mix.
- Fold the whisked egg whites into the mix. Do not stir too much otherwise it will lose its air.
- Grease the baking pans using vegetable oil and dust with some all-purpose flour.
- Divide the cake batter in three equal parts and pour in the baking pans evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Once the cakes are done, the tops will be firm but the cake will be soft.
- Take out of the oven and invert on a cooling rack to cool.
In the meantime, prepare the cream cheese frosting using:
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 2 cups of cream cheese
- 1 cup of unsalted and softened butter
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla or your favorite essence
- Mix the cream cheese with the icing sugar. Mix well.
- Add the butter to the mix and whisk to get it to a spreading and soft consistency.
- Add the essence and your frosting is ready.
- Take one cake, place it on a serving plate and spread some of the frosting on the layer.
- Place the second cake on top of it and apply frosting to this layer too.
- Now place the third cake on top of the second cake and cover all the sides with frosting.
- Cool in the fridge to allow the frosting to set before serving in slices.