Despite their slightly controversial history, red velvet cake recipe have been a hit for over a century. The first mention of red velvet cake can be traced back to 1873. The secret to enjoying the red velvety texture of this tasty cake lies in its moist and crumbly nature. Here is a simply melt in the mouth moist red velvet cake recipe that you can enjoy with or without the frosting.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 15 ml red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- ½ cup plain hot coffee
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, mix the baking soda, baking powder, flour, salt and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, add the sugar and oil, and blend on a high speed to blend well.
- Separate the whites and yolks of the eggs.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites until almost 3 times the size. Add the red food coloring to it and beat some more. Set aside.
- Add the egg yolks to the sugar and oil mix and beat some more for the sugar to dissolve.
- Add the vinegar and prepared coffee to the mix and beat well.
- Add the red-colored fluffy egg white and beat the mix well so that it attains a red-brown color. Don’t worry, when ready the cake will have a nice deep red color.
- Add the flour mix to the wet mix, a little at a time, and beat well between each addition. The batter will be slightly more liquid than usual cake batter.
- Grease two 9-inch baking pans using a little oil and flour.
- Pour the batter in the pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes.
- You will know that the cake is done when the top is springy.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack before serving.
The cake can be served as it is or served with the frosting of your choice. Here is simple cream cheese frosting recipe.
- 28 grams cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a deep bowl, mix the cream cheese, milk, vanilla and butter.
- Beat on medium to high speed until smooth.
- Add the sugar and beat some more until you get a smooth thick frosting.
- Layer the cakes on top of each other with a thick layer of frosting in between them and cover with frosting all over.
- Chill for a few hours and your cake is ready to eat.