Yummy banana cake recipe is easy to make if you are using a cake mix. It also cuts down the preparation time to a great extent. Moreover, you can add your favorite nuts, such as cashews, pecans etc, to the mix to add a nutty flavor and serve it with the frosting of your choice. Given below is a mouth-watering banana cake recipe with cake mix and a delicious caramel frosting.
- Plain yellow cake mix – 1 packet (you can use white cake mix, but yellow gives more of a ‘banana’ color)
- Light or dark brown sugar – ½ cup
- Ground cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Peeled and mashed bananas – 1 cup
- Vegetable oil – ½ cup
- Eggs – 3
- Water – 1 cup
- Vegetable shortening – 3 tablespoons
- Assorted nuts (roasted) – 1 cup
- White flour – 3 tablespoons
- Grease two 8-inch cake pans using the vegetable shortening and dust some flour on the inside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a deep mixing bowl, take the cake mix and add the cinnamon and brown sugar to it.
- Break the eggs in the mix, one by one, and beat between each addition.
- Add the vegetable oil and water to the mix.
- Beat the mix well with an electric mixer and make sure that you scrape the sides of the bowl in between the mixing so that the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour the batter in the two pans (filling each pan to the ¾ level) and bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes.
- Once the cakes are done, let them cool for at least 30 minutes and, in the meantime, you can prepare the caramel frosting.
Ingredients for caramel frosting:
- Butter – 8 tablespoons
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- Whole milk – ¼ cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Icing sugar – 2 cups
- In a thick saucepan, take the butter and brown sugar and heat for about 2 minutes until they both melt.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, add the milk and mix. Bring the mix to the boil once again.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and icing sugar.
- Keep in mind that this frosting has to be used warm, otherwise it will harden.
Assembling the cake:
- Take one cooled cake and place it on a cake stand right side up.
- Spread a layer of frosting on the top of the cake and sprinkle some roasted nuts over it.
- Place the other cake on top of it and frost the top and the sides of the cake in quick motions (so that the frosting does not cool).
- Cool the cake in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.