Imagine a banana cake recipe with chocolate and banana filling inside, which will definitely fill your mouth with a delightful combination of banana and chocolate flavors. For your next family dinner, use this banana spilt cake recipe filled with chocolate and banana frosting to surprise the guests.
- Peeled and mashed bananas – 1 cup
- Cake flour – 2 ½ cups
- Baking powder – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Soft and unsalted butter – 15 teaspoons
- Eggs – 4 large
- Sour cream – ½ cup
- Vanilla extract – 2 teaspoons
- Colorful sprinkles – 1 packet for garnishing
To prepare the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a deep bowl, take the butter and sugar and whisk them using a blender (at medium speed) until you get a fluffy mix.
- Break in the eggs, one by one, and whisk well after each addition until the sugar dissolves and the butter is well combined with the eggs.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour and baking powder).
- Add the dry ingredients in the egg-butter mix using a tablespoon. Whisk well after each addition.
- Now add the mashed bananas and sour cream to the mix and combine well using a wooden ladle.
- Pour the batter into a 9-inch greased baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- While the cake is being baked you can start making the banana frosting and chocolate frosting.
Items needed for banana frosting:
- Peeled and mashed bananas – ½ cup
- Butter – 2 ¾ cups
- Egg whites of 5 large eggs
- Sugar – 1 ½ cups
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 ½ tablespoons
- Yellow food coloring – 5-8 drops
To prepare the banana frosting:
In a double boiler, mix the egg whites and sugar and whisk them a little until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the boiler and whisk the mix until it doubles in volume.
- To this, add the softened butter and whisk some more until the mix becomes smooth.
- Now add the mashed bananas and vanilla extract. You can use banana essence in place of vanilla if you wish.
- Combine all the ingredients well.
- Add 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring and see if it gets the ‘banana’ color. You can add more coloring if you want the frosting to be more yellow.
- Frosting can be made a few days in advance and stored in the fridge. However, make sure that you bring it to room temperature before using.
Items needed for chocolate frosting:
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – 1 cup
- Sweet caramel sauce – 1 cup
- Unsalted butter – 2 tablespoons
- Confectioner’s sugar – 1 ½ cups
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
To prepare the chocolate frosting:
Mix the chocolate chips, caramel sauce, butter and sugar in a bowl and heat the mix on a low heat.
- Remove from heat and mix well.
- Add the vanilla extract and the chocolate frosting is ready to be used.
Assembling the cake:
- Let the cake cool to room temperature before assembling.
- Cut three horizontal layers out of the cake.
- Place the bottom layer on the serving palate and apply banana frosting over it.
- Place the middle layer on top of it and apply chocolate frosting over it.
- Place the top layer and press slightly.
- Use the rest of the banana frosting to cover all the sides of the cake.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
- Let the cake set in the refrigerator before cutting into slices to serve.