Banana cakes are a healthy variation of the normal cake. Banana cake recipe goes very well with coffee and are, therefore, considered perfect for coffee evenings. However, when you combine the coffee and bananas in the cake itself it tantalizes your taste buds in a very special way that makes you want to reach for more. Given below is a simple banana coffee cake recipe with banana frosting.
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bananas (peeled and mashed)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease a 10-inch baking pan.
- Mix the coffee with the water and set aside.
- In a deep bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until the sugar starts to dissolve.
- Add the butter to this mix and beat well until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add the vanilla and the coffee mix and beat some more.
- Pour in the sour cream and the bananas and mix well.
- Add the flour mix in the batter, a little at a time, and beat well.
- Pour the mix in the greased baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes.
- When done, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling on a wire rack.
Buttercream Banana Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Chopped walnuts and pecans for topping
- Cream the butter and salt.
- Add the mashed bananas and vinegar and beat to get a fluffy thick mix.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar, one spoon at a time, and beat to make the frosting fluffy and of spreading consistency.
To assemble the cake:
- Remove the cake from the wire rack.
- Cut the cake horizontally in the center.
- Apply the frosting on top of one half, sprinkle some walnuts and pecans on top of the frosting and cover with the other half.
- Spread the rest of the frosting on the top and sides of the cake and decorate with some chopped walnuts and pecans.
- Let the frosting set for a few minutes before serving.
Serve with a hot cup of your favorite coffee and sit back to enjoy!!