The popularity of the vegan lifestyle has really taken off lately, but avoiding animal products is nothing new. It can be for health reasons, moral reasons or any other number of possibilities that one chooses to become vegan. A popular misconception is that vegan recipes are copycats that don’t get it right, or feeble attempts at mimicking something, and that they are never as tasty as the “real thing”. If you fall into that category, try this recipe and let me know if this vegan carrot cake recipe isn’t just as delicious as any other cake recipe.
Just because you are living a healthy lifestyle, that certainly doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t indulge every now and then with treats. If you use whole grain flour and organic ingredients, this treat becomes a truly healthy alternative to most other cake recipes. Feel free to substitute any of the spices for spices which you prefer, be creative and come up with your own custom version – and be sure to come back here and share it with us if it works out great!
Here are the ingredients you will need, I recommend using organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 2 cups of grated carrots (Use a regular cheese grater on them.)
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 12 cups of raisins
- 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp of allspice
- 1/2 tsp of cloves
Here are the simple preparation instructions for this Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F,
- Combine raisins, grated carrots, water and all of the spices in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the salt and sugar into the mixture, mix them in, and simmer for another two minutes while continuing to stir gently.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and set it aside for a moment.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your baking soda and flour. Now, add in the mixture from the saucepan along with the soy milk and mix together. Don’t over-mix it, just combine it until it’s mixed well and then stop.
- Grease an average size baking pan and pour the batter into it.
- Bake for roughly 45 minutes or until you can poke the center with a toothpick and remove it cleanly.
This vegan carrot cake recipe isn’t really all that different from most carrot cake recipes, however it uses soy milk so it’s great for vegans and people who are lactose intolerance alike. As you’ve experienced, it is very easy to prepare and even easier to eat – Yum!