The red velvet Bundt cake recipe has been very popular since the 1950s. The design of the Bundt pan is such that the cake is hollow in the center and has a ring shape. Not only the design of the cake is different, it is also easy to cook as the center of the cake cooks evenly. Here is a delicious red velvet cake recipe that you can make at home.
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- The recipe caters for 1 (12 cup) Bundt cake. Grease the Bundt pan with oil and dust a little flour on the inside.
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, break the eggs and add the buttermilk.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the egg and buttermilk mixture.
- Add the sugar and beat some more till the sugar dissolves.
- Add the food coloring and vanilla to the mix and beat some more.
- Add the vinegar to the mix and beat the mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, 1/4 cup at a time, and beat well so that there are no clumps in the mix.
- Pour the batter in the greased Bundt pans.
- Bake on 350F for about 45 minutes. You can check the cake by inserting a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before taking it out, then cool on a wire rack before frosting.
A red velvet cake is a perfect carrier for a smooth cream cheese frosting.
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and butter together until mixed and softened.
- Add the sugar and beat at a very low speed. Keep scraping the sides of the bowl for an even mixture.
- Add the vanilla and beat till the frosting is fluffy.
- Place the red velvet Bundt cake on a serving plate and cover with the prepared cream cheese frosting from all sides.
- You can also melt the frosting in the microwave for some time then pour the frosting on the cake and let it pool at the bottom.
- Decorate the cake with sliced strawberries or chopped walnuts before serving.