Children and chocolate go very well together; therefore, first birthday cake recipes are very popular for birthday parties. Rather than ordering the cake from a bakery, you can make the cake yourself by following this simple chocolate cake recipe.
- 125 grams of cocoa powder (1 cup)
- 476 ml of boiling water (2 cups)
- 227 grams of butter (1 cup)
- 500 grams of sugar (2 ½ cups)
- 4 large eggs
- 345 grams of all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 15 grams of baking powder
- 5 grams of vanilla extract or essence (8 drops)
- Dissolve the cocoa powder in boiling water. Mix well so that there are no lumps. Give it a whirl in the blender to mix properly.
- Let the mix cool and in the meantime heat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together. Mix well.
- Take the butter and sugar in a deep bowl and using a blender, mix them until you get a nice smooth and creamy texture.
- Break in the eggs, one by one, and keep on mixing at a medium speed until you get a frothy broth kind of mix.
- Keep the blender on and start adding the flour and baking powder mix, spoon by spoon.
- Once it is mixed, add the cocoa powder mix and fold well.
- Take three 9-inch baking pans and grease them well.
- Divide the mixture in three equal parts and pour in the baking pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes until done.
- Cool on a wire rack before frosting.
Measurements for the frosting:
- One packet or 250 grams of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 50 grams of half and half cream (½ cup)
- 170 grams of unsalted butter
- 275 grams of icing sugar
- 50 grams of mixed fruit jam
- One piping bag
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler and add the butter. You will get a nice glossy mix.
- Add the cream to the mix and blend well.
- Let the mix cool to room temperature and add the icing sugar to the mix.
- Fold slightly. Do not mix too much otherwise the cream will separate to butter and give you a granulated frosting, which will not spread well.
- Slice the cooled cakes in the middle and spread the frosting on the inside. Join and spread the frosting on the top and sides too.
- Let it set in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Fill the piping bag with mixed fruit jam, create a pattern on the cake, and let it set in the fridge until the party time.