1st birthdays are truly special for families and preparing a cake from scratch makes it even more special. Chocolate cakes are the most popular with kids of all ages. Not surprisingly chocolate cake recipe‘s are still a favourite with most adults as well. As far as 1st birthday cake recipes are concerned this homemade chocolate cake recipes should tick all the boxes.
What you will need:
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 ½ cup of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 x 3/4th cup of all-purpose flour (you can use cake flour too but then skip the baking powder).
- A pinch of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon of Vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ teaspoon of Baking powder
- Dissolve the cocoa powder in boiling water and set is aside to cool at room temperature. Make sure there are no lumps in it.
- Preheat the oven at 180 C or 350 F
- Sieve the flour and add baking powder to it. Keep aside.
- Blend butter and sugar together until you get a smooth texture.
- Add the eggs one by one and beat at a medium speed and you will get a slightly frothy mixture.
- Add the flour mix spoon by spoon and keep mixing.
- Once the flour is mixed well add the cocoa powder and water mix.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix well.
- Grease three 9-inch baking pans and pour the mixture equally into the three cans.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before icing
What you will need to prepare the icing
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – 1 packet
- Half and half cream -1/2 cup
- Unsalted butter ¾ cup
- Icing sugar 2 ½ cup (you can use normal powdered sugar too but icing sugar sets well).
- Mixed fruit jam – 3 large tablespoon
- Piping bag-1
- On a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and unsalted butter to get a glossy mix.
- Add the cream and mix well while the mix is still hot.
- When the mix cools stir in the icing sugar. It will dissolve quickly.
- Do not beat the mixture too much otherwise, the cream will separate and give it a bitter taste.
- Slice each cake in the middle, spread the frosting on each layer, and join them.
- Let the cake cool in the fridge to set the icing.
- Fill the piping bag with the jam and pipe it over the cake on the borders or you can make a design and even some cartoons.
- Use some chocolate wafers to stick on the cake for decorations.